September 25, 2018 (u3.3.0)
- IMPROVED! Syllabus: Improvements were on the display of embedded videos.
September 11, 2018 (u3.2.0)
- NEW! Sessions: Pagination added to the bottom of session pages to make it easier to move forward or backward through a course.
- IMPROVED! Session Media: Improvements were made to the session media player to ensure PDF's display and zoom properly.
- NEW! Analytics: You can now track individual student progress through a course by viewing coursework/session completion under 'student engagement' in the analytics section.
- NEW! Coursework; Form Submissions: A new question type has been added to Form Submissions, Image Matching.
- FIXED! Resources: Updates were made to allow more file types to be uploaded as downloadable resources.
- FIXED! Course FAQ's and Coursework Resources weren't copying over from cloned courses.
- IMPROVED! Cloning: Improvements were made to the course cloning tool to ensure all iframe embedded content is successfully cloned.
- NEW! Archived Courses: You can now configure exactly how students can interact with your course once it has finished, including allowing forum/gallery participation, extended coursework submissions, or closing access completely. This feature is only available if archival access is turned on at the admin level for your portal.
August 2, 2018 (u3.0.0)
- NEW! Answer Key/Instructor Solution: We’ve added an option to the Submission coursework builder to include answer keys, notes, or other resources for your students. These will only appear for students after they have submitted their coursework and received a grade.
- NEW! Student Roster: You can now download your student roster as a CSV file.
- NEW! Syllabus: Course syllabus pages can now be printed directly from Kannu while in preview mode.
- FIXED! In-Video Quizzes: Minor fixes were made to improve in-video quiz creation and editing within the Session builder.
- FIXED! User Roles: Updates were made to ensure different instructional roles display properly on course syllabus pages (e.g. instructor, instructional support.
- IMPROVED! Course Enrollment: Courses can be configured to either allow students to self-enroll or request enrollment, requiring instructor approval. These settings have been moved to the Course Settings tab, under Enrollment Options.
- FIXED! Syllabus: Blocks can now be edited in Firefox.
- NEW! Users: You can now download your user lists from the admin portal as a CSV file.
June 14, 2018 (u2.34.0)
- IMPROVED! Email Invitations: Fixes were made to course invitations sent from Kannu to students and instructors, which were occasionally redirecting to the wrong course.
- NEW! You can now export your class attendance records as a CSV.
- IMPROVED! Minor updates were made to the syllabus builder to improve cross-browser performance.
- IMPROVED! Improvements were made to the gradebook to ensure all student coursework entries load and display consistently.
- FIXED! Fixes were made to session cloning and session media to ensure images and PDFs display properly.
- NEW! You can now download user information from the Admin portal as a CSV file.
May 22, 2018 (u2.33.0)
- IMPROVED! Notifications: We improved the notification center UI to include more useful information (such as course and forum name) to help students and instructors stay engaged and organized.
- IMPROVED & FIXED! Portfolio: Updates and fixes were made to improve the Portfolio when switching to/from edit mode.
- IMPROVED! Page-load: We made platform-wide improvements to decrease page-load time and make your experience as smooth as possible.
- NEW! DICOM images are not supported in both course galleries and sessions.
- IMPROVED! Course Settings: We made minor updates to the course settings area to stay up to date with ADA/WCAG accessibility standards.
- NEW! Resources: Instructors can now preview and save resources as drafts prior to publishing.
NEW! Students: Instructors can now invite students to courses that have ended (archived).
- FIXED! Terms: Fixes were made to term/semester management, which were occasionally hitting errors on deletion.
- FIXED! Stripe Integration: Fixes were made to the checkout flow for portals using Stripe.
April 23, 2018 (u2.31.0)
- FIXED! Students in mobile Safari are now able to use captions through the native Safari video player.
- IMPROVED! PDF download has been blocked on the Sessions page, so you can display content without worry. If you'd like to provide PDFs for download, please attach it as a resource.
- IMPROVED! We've updated the sitemap for Kannu to make it easier for screenreaders to navigate directly to relevant resources.
- IMPROVED! The time has been added to submission date when exporting student/coursework gradesheets.
- FIXED! Resources were temporarily unable to be published.
- FIXED! The Grader has been further updated to handle unexpected edge cases when saving grades.
March 29, 2018 (u2.30.5)
- IMPROVED! You can now swipe away growl notifications when using Kannu on mobile devices.
- IMPROVED! Buttons don't work properly in some versions of Microsoft Outlook, so we now include backup links.
- FIXED! When viewing a student's forum participation, images larger than 600px wide are now scaled down to fit.
- FIXED! The Grader would occasionally fail to save when grading very quickly.
- FIXED! The "jump to question" option on survey results wasn't working properly.
- FIXED! Resource reordering in Sessions is now reflected in the Student view.
- FIXED! Subforums are now included in the dropdown list when creating a new thread.
March 7, 2018 (u2.29.0)
- FIXED! We made some updates to our text editor to eliminate errors on image uploads.
- IMPROVED! Some slight changes to the Grader pages for more stable loading.
- FIXED! Certain edits made to Sessions would give a generic error on save.
- FIXED! The search box was occasionally failing to display on the Admin Users page.
February 28, 2018 (u2.28.0)
- IMPROVED! We've updated the Edit mode of Portfolio to be easier to follow and finalize.
- FIXED! Resources on coursework were displayed in all lower case.
- FIXED! Resources on certain sessions were temporarily hidden.
- FIXED! Sessions sometimes failed to save which videos you've watched.
- NEW! The new changes to the Course Dashboard have all been finalized. To sum up, we've cleaned up the look for readability and navigation, added your Gradebook Quick Actions in, and added a Course Creation Checklist to help you along in new courses.
- IMPROVED! Syllabus pages have been improved for faster saving.
- IMPROVED! If your resources have more than three associations, we now show them on hover so you'll be able to see each one without extra clutter.
- NEW! You can now unpublish a course (rather than deleting it) via the Admin interface in the Courses list.
February 5, 2018
- FIXED! Better support for Safari 9, which previously was leading to login issues. Mac users should still update their OS to get Safari 10 or later as soon as possible, as Safari 9 is not officially supported.
- FIXED! Resource associations in newly cloned courses were doubled, which had no effect on functionality, but didn't look so nice.
January 31, 2018
- NEW! Introducing the Kannu Blog, a great resource for online learning tips and the experiences of fellow Kannu users.
- NEW! Portfolios now support commenting, which makes them a great tool for getting feedback on your work. You can enable/disable commenting on your individual projects as you please.
- IMPROVED! General improvements to video transcoding for better speed & stability.
- FIXED! Some calendar events would error out when saving, which has been fixed.
- FIXED! Certain pages wouldn't load correctly when the course name had special characters.
- NEW! Stage 1 of instructor dashboard improvements! Gradebook Quick Actions are right up front, and the Course Creation Checklist will help you get started in new courses.
- FIXED! Some cloned courses were missing session resources.
- FIXED! Student Preview of the main Sessions page was blank for admins. The actual student view was not affected.
December 21, 2017
- NEW! Lots more updates to the Portfolio: a new media viewer, better meta info on linked media, and some other improvements to presentation.
- IMPROVED! Users labeled "Guest Lecturer" are now simply a "Guest," since they could be there for multiple purposes.
- IMPROVED! Just in case you upload an audio file that doesn't work in browsers, we now transcode that for you!
- FIXED! Sessions without a start date no longer display a blank "Start Date" line.
December 7, 2017
- NEW! You can now download your Portfolio directly, nicely zipped up with a separate folder for each project.
- NEW! The "Sessions" panel on your Syllabus now links directly to each session.
- IMPROVED! If videos have captions in multiple languages, Kannu now remembers your preference.
- FIXED! Book resources without an external link no longer link to the main resource page by default.
- NEW! You can now attach a file directly to your Coursework instructions, rather than uploading a distinct resource.
- IMPROVED! When you use peer assessment for your assignments, the Gradebook now shows both peer assessment sent and peer assessment received on each student's page.
November 18, 2017
- NEW! You can now create portfolio projects that contain URLs or embed links to work elsewhere.
- NEW! You can now customize the banner image on your Portfolio.
- IMPROVED! When uploading multiple large files to your Portfolio, the loading indicator now runs until all uploads are completed.
- NEW! Your session/coursework tables now contain preview links, so you don't have to load up edit mode first. The tables now also save your preferred display count.
- FIXED! PowerPoints would sometimes fail to convert to a web-friendly format.
- FIXED! A temporary bug was blocking coursework downloads.
- FIXED! A temporary bug kept some Gradebook "Students" pages from loading.
- NEW! In addition to instructors, Admins now get an invite to our training portal.
- FIXED! Rendering issues with Admin Analytics charts.
November 1, 2017
- IMPROVED! Submissions from archived courses are now included in your sitewide Gallery (if the feature's turned on).
- IMPROVED! Other general tweaks and improvements to the sitewide Gallery.
- FIXED! PDFs embedded in the Syllabus would intermittently fail to load.
- IMPROVED! We've made some UI changes in Peer Assessment so it's easier to find required fields.
- FIXED! There was a chance that in Peer Assessment, a student's own avatar would appear over a submission to assess, instead of the generic anonymous avatar.
- FIXED! PDF-only sessions now have a media queue.
- IMPROVED! In addition to viewing in-browser, you can now download images and audio from the Gradebook.
- IMPROVED! If you're using a plagiarism checker, you can now rerun it right from the Gradebook.
- FIXED! Session validation errors have been improved to pin down issues before they get in the way.
October 18, 2017
- IMPROVED! The Course Settings UI has been updated a little further, with some added settings and bug fixes.
- NEW! Site Settings: When we set up a new Kannu portal, we work with you to configure a variety of settings so the site works the way you need it to. Now, you have direct access to all of those settings, via Admin Dashboard > Configuration > Site Settings. Note that many of these settings are major changes, so only change them when you're sure you want them.
October 11, 2017
- NEW! Login page design: We modernized the login page for a clear and clean layout.
- IMPROVED! Portfolio creation has an improved UI so it's easier to upload & set up your projects.
- IMPROVED! You can now upload a custom background image to your Portfolio (we'll put a gradient in there just in case).
- FIXED! Cloning a Scheduled course and then switching it to Adaptive left some dates that should have been deleted.
- FIXED! Cloned courses weren't carrying over their YouTube links correctly.
- NEW! SSO Options: You can now configure Single Sign-On logins using Google, Facebook, and/or GitHub. Head to the guide for more info on how to set it up.
October 4, 2017
- IMPROVED! You can now sort Gallery entries oldest -> newest.
- IMPROVED! The gallery viewer now defaults to presentation mode when you're inactive.
- IMPROVED! The gallery viewer's "About This Submission" tab displays some more data about what's in the submission, like media types and (for instructors) the date of submission.
- FIXED! The gallery better supports WEBM files for greater stability.
- FIXED! Certain time zones had persistent errors around session dates.
September 28, 2017
- IMPROVED! We've made some frontend adjustments to the student Coursework page to ensure WCAG compliance.
- IMPROVED! Slight adjustments to the video transcoding queue to improve speed.
- IMPROVED! Extra-large courses (over 5GB) can now be downloaded without issue.
- FIXED! Peer assessment temporarily couldn't be created if it only required written feedback.
- FIXED! Creating a coursework without a forum would still give a notification that a forum had been created.
September 13, 2017
- NEW! Each course now has a gallery space for viewing all coursework at once.
- IMPROVED! Gallery comment notifications now link directly to the comments section.
- FIXED! Added a media queue for PDFs in Sessions.
- NEW! Video transcoding: Now any videos you upload will be automatically transcoded, so you won't have to worry about web-friendly formats.
- IMPROVED! We've improved the logic for showing the "latest session" on the dashboard to keep you up to date.
- IMPROVED! Extra credit questions are now marked as such.
- FIXED! If a course had more than 10 sessions, students were temporarily unable to reach Sessions 11+ from the Sessions page.
- NEW! Attendance notes: Now you can jot a note on any attendance marking when you make it, or after the fact.
- FIXED! Some of the date fields would ony save if you used the date picker, rather than typing out the date manually.
- NEW! If a user can't find their confirmation email, you can now copy their confirmation link from the Admin Users table.
August 22, 2017
- IMPROVED! We've changed the header styles on all Kannu pages to improve readability and save a little space.
- NEW! We've made some big changes to the coursework layout so your assignments are clear, straightforward, and easy to navigate.
- IMPROVED! Along with the changes to the coursework design, we've implemented a few fixes that should help reduce upload errors.
- NEW! PDF Syllabus: If you can't find the time to make a true Kannu Syllabus, you can now upload a PDF instead.
- IMPROVED! We've moved some of the settings that were living on the Syllabus to the Course Settings, and given the interface a major update.
August 7, 2017
- NEW! We made some major changes to the user settings interface, and bundled a new feature in: now you can change your email address! A confirmation will be sent to the original before the change is made.
- FIXED! We handled some edge cases to make sure the Gradebook saves changes no matter how you leave the page.
- NEW! Admin Connect: From the Admin Dashboard, click Connect and you'll be able to access all the forums in one place.
- NEW! Course Pre-Approval: Your portal can now be configured to automatically approve all submitted courses. This is a sitewide setting, so contact us and we'll make the change for you.
July 20, 2017
- NEW! Audio files uploaded to the Gallery now have waveform thumbnails so you can "see" the whole track at once.
- IMPROVED! We made a few visual and technical tweaks to the Messenger for easier navigation and searching.
- IMPROVED! Kannu now recognizes your time zone while you're logged out as well, so any date information you see is based on your location. Previously logged-out users would see times in UTC±00:00.
- IMPROVED! Course downloads now follow the naming convention "number_name_term", so that each file is unique and easy to find. Also, if any problems occur during a course download, you'll immediately receive an email notification.
- IMPROVED! Content from the "Session Content" field is now included in course downloads.
- IMPROVED! Course invites now (optionally) include student IDs, so if you're inviting brand new users you can set that value right away.
- FIXED! Students were not receiving credit for Forum Participation when commenting on their own posts.
- FIXED! The form submission autograder was failing to initialize on certain question types, requiring manual grading.
- FIXED! Peer-assessed criteria can now be added with a 0% weight.
- IMPROVED! When inviting students via CSV on the Admin Dashboard, any students who were also added to a course will receive a course invite instead of a portal invite, so they can get started right away.
June 23, 2017
- IMPROVED! We've made some changes to Form Submissions to reduce the wait after clicking the "Submit" button.
- NEW! Sessions & Coursework Tables: There's a whole new look for both the Session and Coursework pages, so it's easy to view them the way you need to. Along with that comes quick editing for top-level info like names, dates, and weights. Customize the visible columns using the cog on the upper-right.
- NEW! Course Download: Now you can download a human-friendly record of your course, with all of your content, media, records, and student interactions like submissions and participation.
- NEW! Submission Credit: Now you can make coursework that gives "full credit for submission," without the need for any additional criteria/manual grading.
- NEW! Forum control: In any Session or Coursework, you can decide whether or not a forum is created to be associated to it. The name of that forum is also customizable.
- IMPROVED! The Grader pages now autosave as you tab through fields, for faster grading.
- IMPROVED! We've made some tweaks to the Students page for better use of space. Plus, it now displays the last time your students logged in to the platform.
- FIXED! Course Staff that were removed from a course and invited to a different role were remaining as Course Staff.
- FIXED! Session images were temporarily missing from new clones.
June 2, 2017
- IMPROVED! Messenger: In addition to a normal message, you can now start a conversation with a file upload.
- IMPROVED! Accessibility: We've updated some of our newer features to more closely follow WCAG guidelines for accessibility.
- IMPROVED! You can now download your own submissions from the Gallery, in addition to your Gradebook.
- FIXED! Completed forum participation in Adaptive mode gave you credit, but didn't display as "completed."
- IMPROVED! You can now "mark as submitted" any assignment in the Grader, using the cog on the left. This makes it easier for special cases where a student submits their work in person instead of through Kannu.
- IMPROVED! Forum participation assignments that aren't associated to any particular forum now link from their Coursework page to the main Forums page.
- FIXED! When previewing Announcements, the page now sees you "as a student," so you'll only see Announcements that your students can see.
- FIXED! Course Staff invites were temporarily going out as student invites, so their role had to be changed after the fact.
- FIXED! Course Staff didn't have access to draft courses.
- FIXED! In Firefox, the Attendance sheet wasn't automatically giving the current date when you made new Attendance.
- FIXED! User invites via the Admin Dashboard now add users to your institution records automatically.
May 9, 2017
- NEW! Messenger: The Messenger allows you to communicate privately with another user or group any time you like. Read up on the features here.
- IMPROVED! Dashboard: The Student Dashboard now automatically opens the Announcements tab, so you never miss important updates.
- IMPROVED! We've made system changes to improve the speed of autograder updates.
- IMPROVED! Some small updates to error messaging in the Coursework Builder
- FIXED! In some browsers, the session media engagement chart failed to load.
- FIXED! New courses couldn't be set to "invite-only" mode.
- FIXED! Surveys with section breaks wouldn't display results (or make them available for download) after they were completed.
- FIXED! Updates to cloning (particularly file assets and permissions) will reduce overall errors.
- FIXED! The search bar in the Admin Courses page wasn't working correctly.
April 7, 2017
- NEW! We now create thumbnails out of PDF submissions in the Gallery.
- IMPROVED! Transparent images in the gallery now display in front of a grid for easier viewing.
- IMPROVED! Gallery submissions now display their filename underneath.
- FIXED! A few navigation issues in the Gallery have been fixed, to maximize stability and usability.
- FIXED! Gallery scrollbars weren't displaying in Safari.
- NEW! Cross-course session and coursework cloning: Whenever you create a new session or coursework, you can copy one from any other course you've created.
- IMPROVED! You can now see the submission date of any assignment in the Gallery, rather than just the gradebook. This information is hidden from students.
- FIXED! In the gradebook, PDFs would sometimes open as text files.
- FIXED! Sessions resources would sometimes reset order on save.
- NEW! Now, when bulk inviting users, you can provide them with roles not specific to a course, like Course Creator.
March 16, 2017
- NEW! Gallery: We've completely revamped the Course Galleries, with better searching/filtering, previewing/thumbnailing, organization, and commenting. Here are just a few of the new features and improvements:
- Gallery cards now cover each student's complete submission, rather than an individual file
- New preview mode facilitates larger media and rapid navigation
- Commenting is now side-by-side with media, and robust as ever
- Fully WCAG-compliant design lets you navigate purely with your keyboard
- A variety of new search & sorting capabilities
- FIXED! The media player used for resources has been stabilized across browsers.
- IMPROVED! All coursework types in the coursework creator display on the same page.
- FIXED! Adaptive courses now maintain their coursework order, even after being exported and imported.
- FIXED! An announcement that has already been emailed no longer provides an option to email again.
- FIXED! In certain cases, instructors got an error which blocked them from creating new forums.
- IMPROVED! We've updated enrollment analytics to give a better timeline in relation to your courses.
- FIXED! The Admin Dashboard would occasionally load without the left nav bar.
- FIXED! Some instructor invites included broken links to other Kannu portals.
February 14, 2017
- IMPROVED! Forum Notifications: We applied a new styling to forums notification emails so you can get right to the relevant content.
- FIXED! Calendar events that are made repeating, and then later have all the repeats cleared out, are no longer referred to as “repeating events.”
- FIXED! Previously, users had to be added to repeating events after first creating the event. Now it can all be done at once.
- NEW! Resource View: The Resources page has been revamped for better filtering and organization.
- IMPROVED! Coursework: Form submissions (quizzes, surveys, etc.) are now fully supported on mobile-size browsers.
- IMPROVED! Sessions: The Sessions coursework/resources module now defaults to resources if the session has no associated coursework (and does have resources).
- NEW! Session cloning: Individual sessions can now be cloned within a course. Just hit the clone button to the right of a session and you'll have a new, identical one.
- NEW! Session sorting: The table on the Session page can now be sorted by any header, for better organization.
- NEW! Invitation link: If for any reason a student has lost their invitation email to your course, just head to the Students page. On the right, you can copy a confirmation link to send directly to that student.
- IMPROVED! Nav Bar: The Surveys link has been separated out from Analytics.
- IMPROVED! Syllabus: You can now attach files to your course overview (including documents!).
- FIXED! Sessions: Resource sorting in the Session builder was occasionally failing to save.
- NEW! Site Alerts: Site Alerts allow you to place a banner at the top of every user's page, to make sure important messages don't get missed. You can create them from the Admin Nav Bar.
- IMPROVED! We've added an Admin Dashboard link to the mobile menu.
- FIXED! User Management: Regular (non-Super) Admins were temporarily unable to delete users.
- FIXED! User duplication issues when courses were exported from one Kannu portal into another.
January 20, 2017
- IMPROVED! The resources module in your Sessions now has a better display style so you can easily access all of your resources.
- NEW! Coursework cloning: Individual coursework can now be cloned within a course. Just hit the clone button to the right of a coursework and you'll have a new, identical one.
- IMPROVED! The form submission builder now has an asset step, so you can connect them to sessions and resources (in addition to connecting from the Session builder).
- IMPROVED! You can now add attachments to your Course descriptions on the Syllabus.
- IMPROVED! The Course Cloner has been updated to maintain stability with new and upcoming features.
- NEW! The Courses list now displays the External ID right above the course name.
January 6, 2017
- NEW! Nav Bar: The top nav bar has some new features (including a mini calendar), plus a redesign for better readability & navigation.
- IMPROVED! The Switch Courses dropdown in your left nav now also includes upcoming courses.
- FIXED! User accounts created during a specific period were unable to enroll in more than one course at a time.
- FIXED! Some Kannu portals weren’t displaying user bios.
- IMPROVED! The session media queue has been updated to autoplay between videos (but not at pageload).
- IMPROVED! We removed the navigation warning when you click Preview (since previewing sessions, coursework etc. saves them automatically).
- IMPROVED! Submission assignments no longer default to Peer Assessment, nor Show in Gallery.
- IMPROVED! A number of fixes have been made to course cloning for better stability with our newer features.
- FIXED! Session forums were being created at the moment of publication, rather than the session’s Visible On date.
- IMPROVED! Deleted users are now automatically unsubscribed from all email lists.
- FIXED! Admins were temporarily unable to remove users from courses via the Admin Users page.
December 21, 2016
- FIXED! Calendar: Custom events were temporarily unable to be connected to a course.
- FIXED! Some students were having permission issues with coursework uploads.
- IMPROVED! Syllabus: When printing your Syllabus page, extraneous info has been removed, and we’ve cleaned up the layout as well.
- IMPROVED! Grading Policy: You can now set a category to a grade value of 0%, which could come in handy if you want to give your students practice coursework.
- FIXED! Gradebook: Some instructors were unable to export their gradebooks as CSV files.
- FIXED! Gradebook: Instructors couldn’t bulk download coursework if the coursework title used parentheses.
- FIXED! Sessions: Changing the name of a session would create a second forum without replacing the old one.
- FIXED! Surveys: Surveys using the new checkbox multiple choice questions couldn’t be downloaded as a CSV.
December 8, 2016
- IMPROVED! Calendar: Session and coursework events now have links to take you straight to their page.
- FIXED! Adaptive Mode: Some new coursework settings kept coursework from completing properly, preventing students from moving forward in the course.
- FIXED! Gallery: Second-level comments are now editable.
- FIXED! Forums: Posts with solely an iFrame tag were hitting a “No Content” error.
- IMPROVED! Session media now preloads the first slide (without autoplay) to keep things smooth.
- IMPROVED! Sessions: The related materials section has been split apart to Forum Activity and Related Materials, for better info and navigation.
- NEW! Coursework sorting: The table on the Coursework page can now be sorted by any header, for better organization.
- NEW! Coursework submission windows: Now on any coursework, you can set a submission window, to limit when students will be able to submit. To keep submission open for the duration of the course, simply leave the window dates blank.
- IMPROVED! Gradebook: Now you can grant more than full points in any specific criteria.
- FIXED! Attendance: The color legend has been updated to display properly.
- FIXED! Adaptive mode: The session Publish module wouldn’t load correctly in certain cases.
- FIXED! Session dates: The “Visible On” date would update to the current time when already-published sessions were saved.
- FIXED! Session media iFrames: Previously, session media would invalidate iFrame tags that used single quotes.
November 4, 2016
- NEW! iFrame Settings: Wherever you can embed media through iFrame (like YouTube videos, SoundCloud etc.), you’ll also have some settings that allow you to optimize the layout. These include alternate display options, and 16:9 or 4:3 primary display.
- IMPROVED! Error messages now display for a longer period of time, to help both form completion and error reporting.
- IMPROVED! Calendar: You can now invite any students on the portal to custom events, rather than needing to pick a specific course first. Students in courses you're enrolled in/instructing will be suggested first.
- FIXED! YouTube Embedding: Certain YouTube videos led to loading problems.
- FIXED! Gallery: The filetype filter for images allowed .jpg, but not .jpeg files.
- IMPROVED! Coursework Page: The Coursework page got a few tweaks to improve layout and clarity.
- IMPROVED! Session Media: Video settings are maintained throughout the queue, so you can watch lectures without any interruption.
- NEW! Analytics: We’ve completely revamped the Analytics page. You’ll now be able to see a number of more detailed stats on your course, including session views, lesson analytics, and coursework engagement.
- NEW! Session Meeting Dates: You’ll now see a new pair of (optional) fields on Sessions allowing you to set a meeting time for the session. This will populate your and your students’ calendars with an event, separate from the time your session becomes visible to students. Sessions made prior to this update will have both the "Visible On" and "Meets On" date set to the old "Publish Date," and the meeting end time set to one hour later, for consistency with old functionality.
- NEW! Session media now supports image upload, for a full suite of media options: image, video, audio, documents, and iFrames.
- IMPROVED! URL logic has been improved to better account for multiple sessions with the same name.
- IMPROVED! Extra-long responses to short answer questions now display properly in the Grader.
- FIXED! Certain characters in submission filenames would cause errors in their download, which could also affect bulk downloading of assignments.
- FIXED! Unpublishing a session would make it invisible on the Sessions page until you refreshed.
- FIXED! Some instructors without course creation privileges didn’t have a draft tab on the My Courses page.
- IMPROVED! Analytics: Admins can now see their active user counts over time (measurements beginning as of this update), as well as active users so far this month.
- NEW! Super Admin: Super Admins are like Admins, with the additional privilege of adding and removing other admins at will.
- NEW! Admins can now invite users to the platform without having to enroll them in a course. This can be done via the Users tab on the Admin dashboard.
- FIXED! Some cloned courses had duplicate criteria, leading to form coursework that was “partially graded.”
October 20, 2016
- IMPROVED! Forum sorting now gets a better look at replies for improved organization.
- IMPROVED! When updating recurring calendar events, you can now choose to update a single event, all following events, or all previous and following events.
- FIXED! Mobile devices had navigation issues with PDFs which have been fixed.
- NEW! Mobile submission: You can now submit coursework from tablets, smartphones, and other mobile devices.
- IMPROVED! Session materials: Sessions now include a link to the relevant forum, so it’s easier than ever to get talking. We’ve also smoothed out the view for relevant coursework and resources.
- IMPROVED! Session media: The forward/back arrows on the media player now fade out of view with the play bar for uninterrupted viewing.
- NEW! Custom Grading Policy: You can now use your own personalized grading policy. Not only can you have as many or few personalized coursework categoriies as you like, we’ve also removed the 100% total restriction so that you can use extra credit at the top level. See the help article for more details.
- NEW! Multi-file dropzone: Any submission requirement in a coursework can now be given a minimum and maximum file count, so students can upload multiple, ordered files in a single location.
- NEW! Multi-select multiple choice: Your multiple choice questions can now be set to allow multiple answers (checkbox style).
- IMPROVED! Gradebook: The character limit for manual grades has been increased for decimal fine-tuning.
- IMPROVED! Course logos: When you upload a course image, you can now crop it to make sure it fits our 16:9 specifications exactly how you like it.
- IMPROVED! Session logos: If you choose not to upload a session logo, the placeholder image will not display in Session Info.
- FIXED! Session media: We’ve implemented a robust embedding approach to accommodate all types of YouTube links.
- FIXED! Exiting session/coursework preview would sometimes lead to a blank page.
- NEW! Grading Policy Presets: Instructors now have much more flexibility in their grading policy. As an admin, you’ll have the option to include preset policy categories, and require them if necessary. See the help article for more info.
- IMPROVED! Kannu On Board: Previously we manually invited instructors to our onboarding portal. We’ve now implemented an automatic system so that instructors will get their invites sooner.
- FIXED! Course cloning would sometimes fail to clone welcome messages.
- FIXED! Users can be invited to multiple Kannu portals without issue (previously they were at risk of being invalidated).
October 5, 2016
- NEW! Calendar: Kannu now boasts a complete calendar app, to help you keep your courses organized. for more details.
- Course, session, and coursework dates are automatically added to your calendar.
- Invite students from any course to custom events: create them the same way as you do on your own calendar app.
- If you’re meeting up online, you can include a video call link that all event participants can access.
- Sync your Kannu calendar to your preferred app via an imported URL.
- IMPROVED! Updates to Safari friendliness, including notifications and coursework submission.
- FIXED! Coursework: Coursework in Adaptive courses lacking an end date could have displayed “Invalid Date.”
- FIXED! Tooltips weren’t closing in certain versions of Firefox.
- FIXED! Syllabus: Guest lecturer titles and institutions weren’t displaying on the Syllabus page.
- FIXED! Coursework: Depending on browser, clicking a readmore link on criteria descriptions would send students to the top of the page.
- IMPROVED! Image embedding: The dashboard, syllabus, sessions, and resources have been redesigned for better display and readability.
- IMPROVED! Course Import: Imported Kannu courses now trigger a notification email upon completion.
- FIXED! Media embedding: Some YouTube URLs include unusual characters, for which Kannu now accounts. Video is king!
- IMPROVED! Cloning: Cloning has been optimized for guest lecturers; previously they would slow down the clone process.
- FIXED! Cloning: Expired terms couldn’t be extended properly, which could lead to errors in course cloning.
August 25, 2016
- IMPROVED! WCAG updates to the Forums, Profile, and student-side Gradebook.
- IMPROVED! Emails formatted to be more friendly with Microsoft Outlook.
- IMPROVED! Surveys: While auditors are still restricted from submitting coursework, they’re now able to submit surveys.
- NEW! Gradebook: A completely reinvented Gradebook. We can’t cover all the changes in this document, but here are the highlights:
- View all coursework, all coursework for one student, and all students for one coursework
- Export pretty much anything to CSV
- Speed grader! A popup that lets you grade much faster
- Smarter autosaving
- Sort/filter coursework by category or submission status
- Grade clearing: Now if you save a grade by accident, you can completely delete it!
- Each student’s details has a mailto link for instant communication
- FIXED! Announcements: Fixed a bug where the wrong announcement could load if two had the same name.
- FIXED! Session Media: A bug was preventing instructors from including the “allowfullscreen” parameter in iFrame tags.
- FIXED! Session start dates: Occasionally the “Publish Immediately” option would actually set a time in the near future instead.
- NEW! Bulk User Creation: Admins can now create new users and/or invite them to courses in bulk, right from the Admin Dashboard, using a CSV. See this article for more information.
- NEW! Bulk Course Creation: Admins can now create courses in bulk, much the same way. See the above article.
- IMPROVED! Categories: Admins can now write and save categories to draft courses.
August 4, 2016
- FIXED! Portfolio: Certain environments led to an error when cropping a profile image.
- IMPROVED! Forums: Tablet browsers now display well in both portrait and landscape mode.
- IMPROVED! WCAG improvements to Session Overview, individual Sessions pages, Resources, Announcements, Coursework Overview, and Course FAQs.
- FIXED! Gradebook: Fixed a bug where participation-type assignments wouldn’t count towards course completion.
- FIXED! Time zones: Some instructors were prevented from saving forms that used a date field due to time zone settings.
- IMPROVED! Course cloning: The course cloner has been updated to improve stability and speed.
- FIXED! Peer assessment: Students were able to submit two peer assessments to the same person by submitting, and then going back and editing their submission. Now the edited version will be the only one that goes through.
- FIXED! Peer assessment: Depending on circumstances, students who hadn’t completed all of their peer assessment forms were still able to submit the ones that were completed, leading to extra peer assessments.
- FIXED! Sessions: Session thumbnails were failing to upload properly, which has since been fixed.
- FIXED! Preview: Coursework preview had a bug that would break preview while you traveled around the site.
- IMPROVED! Portal: Admins can now add categories to courses while they’re still in draft mode.
July 8, 2016
- NEW! Media Player: in addition to all the old features, with our brand new skin you’ll now be able to jump back or forward by ten seconds.
- IMPROVED! Media Player: Changed our SD/HD transcoding. What was once 480p and 720p is now 360p and 720p.
- IMPROVED! Media Player: The “Viewed” checklist in session videos better maintains its state, so you’ll know exactly what you’ve already seen.
- IMPROVED! Media Player: Session segments now maintain fullscreen between slides, regardless of media type (videos to PDFs etc.)
- IMPROVED! Accessibility: More WCAG improvements, primarily with Syllabus pages.
- NEW! Syllabus Video: Added an optional field to the syllabus for a promo/intro video.
- IMPROVED! Session Info: Session info wouldn’t allow any control over the height of iFrames, which has since been fixed.
- IMPROVED! Publish Module: Preview and Delete icons have properly working tooltips.
- FIXED! Media Embedding: A certain subset of YouTube videos wouldn’t embed properly.
- FIXED! Sessions: A bug was preventing users from saving sessions if they were left open for too long (it was returning a 403 error). We changed the timeout procedure with our cloud server to prevent this.
- IMPROVED! Users Page: Dropdown now accounts for newer roles (Mentor and Auditor).
- IMPROVED! Last Login: Now displays time of last login, rather than just the day.
- IMPROVED! Terms: Admins can now change the term of a course after it’s been created.
- FIXED! Course Clone: The cloning procedure would occasionally fail to clone parts of old courses. All better!
June 17, 2016
- IMPROVED! Full Text Editor: full-featured text editors have been added to the course gallery, forums, and grader notes, to enable our more advanced features (HTML mockup, code editor, iFrame/video/audio embed, file attachments).
- IMPROVED! Clickable Bios on Syllabus: Instructor, mentor, course staff, and teaching assistant bios are now clickable from course syllabus, redirecting to their profile page.
- IMPROVED! Video Streaming: Back-end improvements have been made to enhance the quality and speed of video streaming internationally.
- IMPROVED! Accessibility: We made some WCAG improvements to some of the main pages (login, Browse Courses), as well as fixed up some text/display problems around the site.
- NEW! Custom Syllabus Fields: With the new custom field options on the syllabus page, you can select which text modules appear on your syllabus, and you can add new modules with customized titles.
- NEW! Invite Only: Under Course Settings, Instructors can decide to make a course “invite-only,” meaning that students will not be able to see it in browse courses and request enrollment.
- IMPROVED! Mentors: Instructors can create mentors for their course via the student roster, and optionally display their bios on the syllabus page.
- FIXED! Publish Module: This wasn’t displaying properly in some edge cases in the coursework and session builders, and has since been fixed.
- FIXED! Videos played and then closed in the Grading Center were still playing audio sometimes. No more!
- NEW! Adaptive Mode: Course admins can now control whether a course is run with traditional scheduled release or in Adaptive Mode, in which students can consume the course materials completely at their own pace.
May 5, 2016
- IMPROVED! Media Player: Playlisted videos maintain fullscreen and volume settings. No more clicking!
- IMPROVED! Sessions are listed in reverse chronological order on the Dashboard, so the most relevant session is at the top.
- NEW! Peer Assessment Queue: Prioritizes student queue so that students who finish their work first are at the front of the line.
- IMPROVED! Cropping: Images of all sizes and aspect ratios can now be cropped and zoomed.
April 4, 2016
- IMPROVED! Forums: Previously known as “Conversations”, our Forums has been given a head-to-toe redesign! They’re sleeker than ever, with improved navigation, browsing, searching, and thread creation.
- NEW! True/False Questions: We have added a true/false question type to the quiz and test builders.
- NEW! Font Color Selectors: Instructors can add even more color and personality into their session content, coursework instructions, and announcements by choosing custom font and background colors.
- IMPROVED! Quiz/Test/Worksheet Builder: We’ve simplified the quiz/test/worksheet builder by streamlining the creation workflow into two easy steps. The new builder also gives instructors the ability to customize and organize their content by adding section breaks at any point.
- IMPROVED! Quiz/Test/Worksheet Experience: It is now easier for students to take quizzes and tests, and to review their results. Our redesigned quiz/test/worksheet review workflow allows students to see an overview of their results, as well as a question-by-question breakdown of answers and feedback.
March 1, 2016
- NEW! Font-color can now be set on all Rich Text Editors.
- IMPROVED! Conversations is now called Forums and the user interface has been improved for easier navigation and better usability.
- IMPROVED! Session media player been upgraded so that video playback volume and speed are maintained between videos.
- IMPROVED! Test/Quiz/Survey user interface has been upgraded for both students (e.g. taking a quiz) and teachers (authoring).
- IMPROVED! Better handling of assignment resubmission and grading.
- FIXED! You can now remove your birthdate from profile.
- FIXED! Issue when changing your password via user profile.
- NEW! Image cropping for coursework, session, and resource images.
- NEW! Resources can now be associated with multiple coursework and sessions.
- IMPROVED! File drop-zones have been upgraded in terms of visual appearance and upload status (progress bars).
- FIXED! TAs can now schedule announcements.